Woman Crush Wednesday: Sami Stretton
There was a pretty high chance Sami Stretton was going to end up in fashion.
After all, the talented Kiwi has fashion royalty in the family - her mother is none other than Annah Stretton.
But rather than riding coat-tails, Sami has carved her own path in the fashion scene, launching her own fashion label Y+R (Young + Resolute) late last year.
Every bit the entrepreneur and talented designer, Sami is making waves in the New Zealand fashion industry for all the right reasons.
Here, deputy editor Ashleigh Coldicutt chatted to this week's #WomanCrushWednesday, Sami, about her fashionable roots, her design processes, and her obsession with One Direction.
- What’s your earliest memory of being interested in fashion? I don’t think I have one, as growing up its all I’ve known. I can remember from a young age Mum dressing me up, trying things on me, asking for my opinion – I’ve always just loved it.
- What do you want to achieve through fashion? The main aim is to offer styling that I and others love to wear. But also create styles that add real depth behind each collection - to hopefully bring purpose in what can be seen as a relatively shallow pursuit.
- What does ‘style’ mean to you? Being yourself by creating outfits others would never think of and pulling them off.
- Who is the ‘Y&R’ girl? What does she represent or embody? She’s cool, casual and easy going (how we all want to be) loves to be comfy and of course – wants to save the Bees!
- When thinking about your new collection, where do you start? Do you keep journals or work from moodboards? Big fan of moodboards, I’m constantly screenshotting and photographing things on my phone to upload to boards on Pinterest! I love having everything in one place and visual.
- What helps you get in the zone when you’re designing? Myself and my laptop (in bed) usually, whilst I’m brain storming ideas and styles.
- What are three pieces every woman should have in her wardrobe? Great jeans for any occasion, a Jumpsuit suit can be chucked on anytime and you feel great(our Harry Jumpsuit) and great boots!
- What would you like to accomplish in the next ten years? Not sure I have the master plan all worked out yet ( still in very early stages) But a family! Still have the amazing friends that surround me and have worked out the perfect work life balance, so I can enjoy it all.
QUICK FIRE QUESTIONS:
- ’70s fashion or ‘90s fashion? – 90’s with Mickey Tees
- Heels or sneakers? SNEAKERS for any occasion
- Jeans or skirts? Jeans always
- Sequins or florals? Sequins
- Statement earrings or funky necklaces? Earrings
- Wine or cocktails? - BEER
- Going out or Netflix & chill? Going out! Then Netflix for the day of death after
- Justin Bieber or Ed Sheeran? One Direction (heart emoji)
- Dumplings or tacos? Both haha
- Kittens or puppies? Puppies for sure
Check out Sami's beautiful new collection for Y+R, here.